Saturday, 28 December 2013


Tilia_3 update

- the triangular silhouette of the crown has to be solved  to a more roundish shape of course
- alot of thin branches had to go

Monday, 16 December 2013


Tilia_1 update

-picture before wiring

 And after wiring
This side would not be too bad as well.

Sunday, 8 December 2013


Tilia_4 update

Update of the hollow linden.
Before wiring:

After designing.

- the "christmas-tree"-shape will disappear in the next seasons
- the deadwood-areas will be improven the next weeks

Sunday, 10 November 2013


A picture of Lactarius camphoratus (?) under the hollow linden.
Maybe the apperance of this fungus is the result of adding Mycorrhizal fungi 
on repotting this spring.
Looks nice and is a good sign for upcoming symbiontic relationship.
Well, I hope this fungus is a friendly one ...

Sunday, 21 July 2013


Tilia_2 update

 - totally regained, after complete defoliation

Tuesday, 2 July 2013


Update Tilia_1

- Well, she is not even one and a half years in my posession!
- It seems to me quite amazing, how this brave linden coped with the total leaf-pruning 
  three weeks ago
- Next year there will be an exchange of substrate
- Designing of branches will be just done with guy-wireing and pruning

Saturday, 29 June 2013


Tilia_3 update

- She is really ragaining
- Further designing will be managed only with guy-wireing and pruning

Friday, 28 June 2013


Tilia_2 update

- After all leafes had been pruned, to increase ramification

Wednesday, 5 June 2013


Tilia_1 update 
The carving of the trunk will be overhauled and hopefully improved in autumn.
Untill then, I will be equipped with some "non-rotating" carving-tools.
The tree is doing well. Some leafs are the size of a man's hand,
as intended at this stage of development.
Pruning will be done shortly before the longest day of the year.

Saturday, 25 May 2013

Tilia_7 Virtual

This is a virtual-draft of the Holsten-Linden.
It goes without saying that this draft will need al long, long time
to become reality.
Anyway, that is fine by me ...

Sunday, 19 May 2013




( The name holsten_linde refers to the collecting-site of the tree, 50 kilometers northbound of my home. This very nice area is called Holstein and it is part of the northern german lowlands).
Well, I wish I could say "sorry" to this tree. This linden came to me in the beginning of 2012.
Because of some mistakes in the fertilising-concept, I almost killed this tree.
But now she is regaining.
In autumn this year I will have a look wether the tree is ready for some basic carvings.

Thursday, 9 May 2013

pretty in pink

Update Tilia_2

Pink and fresh green.
I love the colour of the buds's tiny leafs in contrast to the colour of the new shoots.
It is a snapshot of the lindens spring, that will vanish all too fast.

There are maybe too many branches so far, but cutting is easier than growing ...
In two weeks or so, the wire will be removed. The tree will be allowed to grow freely this season.

Friday, 8 February 2013


I would like to plan an air-layering b e f o r e irreversible cuttings are done.
Additionally it would be very useful to diskuss the planning with my bonsai fellows,
because I am not sure about the best height of the air layering.
So I decided to develop an virtual backward planning concept.

This is the tree. For my liking the trunk is too long and uninteresting.


In order to transfer the virtual planing into the analog world, I fixed some markings
arround the trunk.
Later on, this markings will provide the orientation for the airlayering cutting.


Well, the markings are somehow irritating towards the free "intuitional" virtual designing-process.
So they are covered with the original bark-layer within the software-application.
We have got the same situation like in the first scenery, but the bark-layer is now "removeable".


A first virtual styling attempt. The pot pot is too big. I shrinked it a bit.
This is not the final outcome, just a draft ....  my bonsai-fellows have to tell this weekend ;-)

If the position (height) of the airlayering is determined, the bark-layer is removed (wthin the app.)
and the markings will give an exact hint for the layerin- cuttings.


Well, some cosmetical adjustment towards the final draft.
The bark-layer has been put back. The markings will stay untill the weekend, for
the diskussion with my fellows ...